Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Short Ribs with a side of...

Every imaginable pickled vegetable you can think of! That sums up one of my most favorite Korean restaurants called "Korea House." No joke, if you are hungry and you have about $15 in your pocket, you should go to this establishment and plan on eating your next meal in 2 days. The amount of food that this place gives you is absolutely amazing. It's nothing short of a buffet (and ironically they have an all you can eat lunch buffet as well). All have to do is order one entree and then begins the non-stop extravaganza of goodness!



My personal choice of entree is a salted mackerel similar to saba shioyaki in a Japanese restaurant. I'd estimate the fat content of a cooked mackerel to be equivalent to a stick of butter. The fish oozes with fatty goodness when it hits your lips and is absolutely amazing right down to the salty, crispy skin. 2nd, but not too far behind is the treasured short rib also known as kal bi. I have always hated getting my hands dirty while I'm eating, but the meat on these short ribs is too good to pass up. The soft cartilage around the bones and the tender, juicy beefy meat is FANTASTIC. Man, I love food.



Now for a few details on the side dishes... as I said before, a dozen little plates come out with your entree and boy, are they amazing! My favorite dishes include a roasted seaweed, pickled cucumbers, bean sprouts in sesame oil, and a peculiar white jello flavored with seaweed and sesame oil. Tack on a couple bowls of rice, and I'd call it a nite, a very very full nite!

Korea House, Santa Clara, California

1 comment:

melmerp said...

We have to go here again one day. If you are back in Santa Clara, make sure you take Andy. He loves that place. You just made me hungry for Korean food. I have to find a good place out here in NYC! That salted mackerel is the best and it must be healthy with all those omega-3 fatty acids. Chopstick licking good!