Sunday, June 3, 2007

All in a day's work...






When I was in school, people always asked me the age old question, "What do you want to be when you grow up?" I never had a sureshot answer, but I knew for sure that whatever I got into, would have to have some relationship with food. Flash forward to June 2007 and here I am, a bacheolor of science, food science to be exact and on top of that, I work for Fortune Magazine's #13 Best Place to Work in the US. Where is that you ask? The answer is the Nugget Market, based out of Davis, CA.

#13 Best Company To Work For

Though I may be a slightly biased opinion, I'll have to admit that shopping at the Nugget is an amazing food experience. Any supermarket that you can have your choice of 400 specialty cheeses, amazing handmade danishes and croissants as well as conventional toilet paper and cheerios is not a bad place to be. It's the best of both worlds; Super Walmart meets Whole Foods Market is how I like to describe it.

My stint in the deli was just supposed to be a summer time gig, which then turned into a part time gig while I was a student, which then became my full time job. I've been in the kitchen for just about 2 years now and I am absolutely loving it. I've learned so much about food and my tastebuds have definitely become accustomed to good food. I'm a self-proclaimed sandwich queen, salsa queen, cookie baker, and soon to be master of vinaigrettes. Sure, the titles may sound cheesily stupid, but when food is on brain as it is with me, they sound amazing. Every single day at work is grueling and strenuous, but it's worth my time since I get to play with food all day. I also get to work in the bakery from time to time, and here are some of my prized projects...





Here are my Top 5 Favorite items that I get to make every week:

1) Roasted Tomato Pesto
2) Italian Combination Sandwich (Prosciutto, Italian Dry Salami, Soppressata, Ham, Swiss Cheese)
3) Roasted Tomato Pasilla Salsa
4) Tropical Salsa (Mangos, Papayas, Jicama, Bell Pepper, Onions, Habanero, Cilantro)
5) Quiche

Come on by the store in Davis if you ever get a chance and experience a slice of heaven in the form of a sandwich!

No comments: