Sunday, September 9, 2007

A Sweet Stop Indeed!

When I was a kid, my summer vacation days were spent in Japantown at the Christ United Presbytarian Church summer camp. Everyday for three months, I donned my green camp scarf and scaled the streets of San Francisco while chanting bubbly campfire songs. The days were long, but my day was always made when my grandpa would take me to Yasukochi's Sweet Stop bakery on Laguna street. The bakery still stands as I remember it to this day nestled inside a corner Japanese supermarket. A husband and wife team singlehandedly run the small shop that supply the neighborhood locals with all their sugar fixes. Jam fingerprints dotted with almonds, custard filled danishes and butter cookies with sprinkles fill the right side of the refrigerated case, while the other half is flooded with scrumptious home baked cakes and cake slices. The case is always quite a sight, but don't let your eyes fool you. If you don't get to the shop before 3pm, count yourself out from the enjoyment of tasting these wonderful treats.

The summer days were warm, so it was only fitting to drop by the air conditioned Sweet Stop at the end of the day, when all the singing and hiking was done. My grandpa and I would round the corner and head into the shop, where my eyes would always be set on the prize: eclairs! To this day, the eclairs from Sweet Stop hold the status of the best eclairs I've ever had. The pate choux dough was always slightly crisp and housed the creamy, rich custard perfectly. The ganache topping was soft and velvety with a robust dark chocolate flavor to it. Every time I took a bite, there was a feeling of pure satisfaction and happiness. A Sweet Stop eclair was always a great ending to a long day.



Many years later, I still find myself at Sweet Stop picking up desserts and treats for my family. The mere speak of the bakery in conversation strikes up good thoughts of the sweets that the bakety produces. Whenever I'm in Japantown, there's always a planned visit to Sweet Stop on the agenda because I know that the fulfillment of my sugar satiety depends on it!

No comments: